This blog is meant as a time killer for me and for those who have time!It contains insights and sometimes stupid ramblings.And a occasional short story!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Chaos!

I told a friend of mine that I am ready to marry my girl-friend. He said he is happy for me and asked what number she was. Number? Ya you heard right! I asked him to elaborate since I did not know what he meant and it could mean a million things any one of which I was not willing to assume. So he told me. I think he was good in algebra. Because this is what he did. He took a pen. He wrote “she is your ‘x’th girl-friend. Whats the value of x?”. Oh! I got it now. He would have made a good teacher! Pity he was in the Army! I asked him whether the ones who did not reciprocate counted? He gave me a weird look. I guess it meant no. So I told him that she was my first one and I intend her to be the last. Another weird look! But then he asked me something which made me think.
“Are you going to MARRY your first ever girl-friend?”
The question is not really very relevant in my case because this girl I love is the only one who can tolerate my eccentricities. So the answer to his question in my case was a no brainer. Of course I was! I am not letting her go in hope of a better one! She is the ONE!
But what made me think about his question was ‘should this so called love thing happen only once?’
Sure! Hollywood makes lots of movies about soulmates and stuff and DON’T even get me started on Indian movies. Any person who has had more than one girl-friend will be the villain and his female equivalent will be a vamp!
Sure the whole ‘soul-mates’ stuff is all mushy-mushy and romantic and in some sense I do consider my gal my soul-mate but does it apply to everyone?
The answer can only be one. No way!
Why? Because as rational engineers what we have been taught is that something which holds good in one situation may not hold good in other situations. For example, one word- heterogeneity. We always assume everything is homogeneous. Whats the deal with that?
Anyway ,so the same reasoning tells me that though things have worked out well for me it may not be so for everyone and that’s why we hear the word ‘break-up’ a lot!
The human mind is complex. It does not follow algorithms to make decisions though human arrogance believes that that is the way we make decisions. So when we do something simple as picking out a shirt at the mall we are not guided by pre-programmed requisites but rather we are guided by visual appeal, price, smooth talking/ beautiful sales-person, a pretty stranger near you before whom you do not wish to exhibit your miserliness etc.
So while choosing partners there is so much more complications as the ‘article of choice’ here is also human and it is so many orders different and difficult. Like a chess game. Lets say choosing a shirt is like a Bollywood chess game where the hero says ‘checkmate’ when the villain has just said ‘check’(????) and choosing a partner is like a chess game with Vishy himself!
So where does all this fit within the title ‘Chaos’? What title? Oh! I got carried away and have digressed a lot. But coming back, the point that I am trying to make is that there is no established ‘order’ in life. Order as in organized not as in ‘would you like to place an order for chicken chilli pizza with capsicum and ginger toppings?’. Planning never works because when you don’t have an umbrella it rains! When there is no toilet nearby you feel the sudden need to extricate the fluids from your body! You know where I am going with this.
Everything is chaos incarnate! There are no Gaussian curves in real life. Well, atleast not a lot. We cant predict weather, stock prices or how a cricket match is going to turn out. Unless its fixed! So what am I saying? I am saying that when so much is unpredictable its just natural for people to choose a partner based on as little as instinct. Sometimes it works out. Most times it does not. Maybe I am a lucky one.
So should we not believe in theories of ‘love at first sight’, ‘soul-mates’ and ‘love happens once’? I am not saying that! Be romantic! Dreaming a bit now and then did not harm anybody! But it is imperative to know that we are dreaming!
I am krawida and I believe in ‘n’th love and chaos!
P.S Having said that its chaos everywhere it means there is nobody controlling our lives. Nobody called GOD! But that’s for another day

1 comment: